Monday, December 22, 2008

Thing #21 - Podcasts

I usually use iTunes to find, download, and transfer podcasts to my iPod, so I looked around at the other podcast directory sites. I like the NPR one, it seems I'm always catching either the tail end of a broadcast, or I don't get to hear all of the story, so I may have to subscribe to some of these. I did a search for "book" on Podcast Alley and it brought up some interesting things. I may have to give one or two of them a try. Right now, there are only three podcasts that I listen to regularly: Ritmo Latino, an hour long mix of Spanish language music, covering just about every genre of musica en espanol that you can think of; Podrunner, from LA based DJ Steve Boyett, an hour's worth of fixed BPM exercise your butt off music; and Yarncraft, all about knitting and crocheting, from Lion Brand Yarn.

My iPod is only a 2G, so I'd probably subscribe to more if I had more room. I'd probably listen to more also if I had a longer commute to work. I do like the way iTunes works like an RSS reader, in that it goes out and checks for updates for you whenever you launch the application. But I don't think I'll add them to my Reader account, since you don't actually read them. I tend to use Reader to keep myself occupied at the reference desk, where headphones would definitely be frowned upon.

No comments: