Monday, March 2, 2009

In Search of New Things

So, I didn't win the grand prize (an iTouch!), but I did earn myself an extension on my Flickr account, not to mention all the 2.0 skills we've covered. I've heard rumors of a list of Things #24- #60, I'll have to start looking for those...

I've come across a couple of posts in gReader that I thought were appropriate for my 23 Things blog. One of the comments about this 23 Things project is that it took too much time, much more than the quoted 15 minutes, to get thru each thing. Sure, we don't always have the time to mess around with new websites at length, but we've almost always got a few minutes in the day we can try new things, right?

Check out this graph:

















According to the folks over at Museum 2.0,  we can get pretty good at Twitter, Technorati, and Flickr in no time at all, plus, it doesn't take much longer to contribute to the blogs you read by posting comments. I certainly don't have the time (or interest) to make a podcast or run an online community, but surely I have time to follow people and leave comments. That's sort of what makes it 2.0, right? 

The other post that drew my attention I found via Library Garden. ALA has recently released a 5 page document, defining the "basic knowledge to be possessed by all persons graduating from an ALA-accredited master’s program in library and information studies." As a recent speaker mentioned in his address, a love of books just doesn't cut it anymore in this profession! 

Also, via Stephen's Lighthouse, this list of Top 20 Social Networking sites. I've heard of 13 of them, but only use 4 of them. While I'm not sure that anyone really needs to be on 20 different social network sites, some of these might be interesting to explore. I may have to rethink my rejection of Facebook...

2 comments:

L. Advie said...

How sad "a love of books does not cut it" is that not partially what all of us "23 Things" participants are about?? Thanks for sharing. So true are your comments. I am happy to see you have not said Good bye as many of the others seem to have. This was fun...and we learned a lot. Enjoy your day. Thanks again for sharing and not giving up.I look forward to your future blogs

T said...

Thanks for the comment! I can't guarantee that I'll post regularly, but I do plan to keep up this blog for a while. It's nice to know that I have at least *one* reader! :)

If you subscribe with an aggregator, you may want to resubscribe to the new address: http://deskduty.wordpress.com/